Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Trust Is Earned: What I’ve Learned About the Human Side of Business

By Zev Asch


After decades in business, I’ve learned that one of the most important words we use is also one of the easiest to misuse: Trust.


We talk about the importance of getting people to “know, like and trust” us. I understand the sentiment, but I have a problem with that phrase. Liking is not trusting. I can like you five minutes after meeting you. You may be interesting, personable, funny or impressive. But none of those things tells me whether I can trust you.


Trust requires evidence. It comes from watching what someone does after the introduction, after the handshake, after the LinkedIn connection—and especially after something doesn't go according to plan.


We Have Plenty of Connections

Technology has made finding people incredibly easy. LinkedIn, email, social media, CRM systems and now artificial intelligence can help us identify prospects, research people and companies, make introductions and communicate with hundreds—or thousands—of people.

I use technology. I believe in it. But let's not confuse connectivity with relationships. A LinkedIn connection is a connection between two accounts. The relationship between the two human beings behind those accounts is something entirely different. That's where the real work begins.


A lead can become a conversation. A conversation can become a relationship. And, given enough time and experience, that relationship may develop into trust. You can't automate that last part.


Trust Requires Proof

When I say someone needs to “prove” themselves, I don't mean they need to impress me.

I mean we need enough human interaction to see each other clearly.

* Do you do what you said you would do?

* How do you behave when we disagree?

* Can you accept criticism?

* Do you listen?

* Will you tell me something I need to hear even when you know I may not want to hear it?

* Are you interested in a relationship—or simply interested in what I can do for you?

That's vetting.


Some people hear that word and think it sounds suspicious or negative. I see it differently. We conduct due diligence before making an investment. Why wouldn't we practice some discernment about the people we bring into our professional lives?

And remember: they are vetting us, too.


Your Reputation Is Capital

I grew up around a business culture where a person's reputation mattered enormously.

A handshake meant something because your name was attached to it. I'm certainly not suggesting that contracts and formal agreements aren't necessary. They are. But contracts and trust serve different purposes.


A contract tells me what you're obligated to do. Trust tells me something about what I believe you will do. Reputation is built one interaction at a time. It comes from keeping commitments, acknowledging mistakes, treating people fairly and behaving consistently even when doing the right thing isn't particularly convenient.


Eventually, your reputation starts arriving in the room before you do.


Upgrade Your Circle

I believe in continuous improvement. Businesses upgrade their technology, processes, websites, equipment and strategies constantly. But what about the business owner? And what about the people surrounding that owner? One of the most important upgrades we can make is improving our professional circle.


So I periodically ask myself: Who challenges my thinking? Who knows things I don't? Who will disagree with me honestly? Who genuinely wants to see me succeed? And whose success am I equally invested in?


I don't want to be the smartest person in every room. I want people around me who make the room smarter.


Five Things I Would Encourage Every Entrepreneur to Do

1. Stop measuring your network by its size. Measure it by the quality of the relationships within it.

2. Move important relationships beyond the platform. Have conversations. Pick up the phone. Meet people.

3. Give trust time. Don't mistake likability, visibility or impressive credentials for character.

4. Pay attention to behavior. Consistency tells you far more than promises.

5. Ask whether you are trustworthy. We spend a lot of time evaluating other people. Turn the question around: Have I earned their confidence in me?


Technology will keep getting better at helping us find one another.

But finding someone isn't knowing them.

Knowing them isn't trusting them.


Trust is earned.

And in a business world becoming increasingly automated, that very human distinction may matter more than ever.

......................................................................................................................................................................

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Zev Asch is a business transformation coach, entrepreneur, author, and educator with more than 40 years of experience in small and family-owned businesses, including 14+ years coaching owners through growth, leadership, and operational challenges. The author of three business books, he ranks among GrowthMentor’s Top-10 mentors, with more than 200 five-star reviews. His practical approach combines experience, pattern recognition, and hands-on implementation to help entrepreneurs build stronger businesses and become more effective leaders. His most recent partnership is with BeMore Advisory, where he contributes his expertise to client development and authors educational articles for BeMore’s The Evolutionist newsletter, sharing practical insights on entrepreneurship, leadership, business transformation, and the human relationships behind sustainable success. 


THE HUMAN REACH
Building Genuine Relationships in an Age of Digital Noise
By: Lennard M. Gettz, Ed.D / Bobbi Kline, MD - and Foreword by: Zev Asch

Whether you're searching for a primary care physician or a cosmetic specialist, shopping for any doctor can be quite a challenge. Ingredients for finding a professional that you can trust with your life rely heaviest on their reputation, expertise and qualifications found under smart research methods. Launched in July 2026 by BeMore Advisory LLC and published by Overture Press, The Human Reach and its companion The Human Reach Workshop explore one of the defining paradoxes of modern professional life: we have never had more ways to reach people, yet meaningful human connection has become increasingly difficult to establish. The Human Reach, by Lennard M. Goetze, Ed.D., and Bobbi Kline, MD, examines how trust, credibility, thoughtful communication, and genuine relationships can distinguish professionals in a world increasingly shaped by digital noise, automation, social media, and artificial intelligence. It challenges readers to move beyond simply accumulating contacts and instead cultivate relationships that create lasting personal and professional value.

The Human Reach Workshop transforms these principles into an engaging educational experience, encouraging participants to examine how they connect, contribute, collaborate, and build stronger professional communities. Together, the books advance a distinctly human proposition: technology may expand our reach, but people give that reach meaning.


Copyright © 2026 BeMore Advisory, LLC and IntermediaWorx, Inc. All Rights Reserved. This article, including its original text, concepts, frameworks, terminology, graphics, illustrations, tables, and supporting materials, is protected by applicable copyright and intellectual-property laws. No portion may be copied, reproduced, republished, adapted, translated, distributed, transmitted, displayed, stored, or used in any form or by any means—including print, digital, electronic, commercial, educational, or artificial-intelligence applications—without the prior written permission of BeMore Advisory, LLC and IntermediaWorx, Inc. Brief quotations may be used for commentary, scholarship, or review when permitted by law, provided that full and accurate attribution is given. No use may imply endorsement, partnership, or authorization by either copyright holder. All trademarks, service marks, and third-party materials referenced herein remain the property of their respective owners.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Trust Is Earned: What I’ve Learned About the Human Side of Business

By Zev Asch After decades in business, I’ve learned that one of the most important words we use is also one of the easiest to misuse:  Tru...